Friday, March 25, 2005

The Big Masquerade

This Purim was without a doubt the most thought-provoking of my entire life. Brandeis was a more than adequate place to celebrate this joyous day, and I thank Maaarrrcccccc for having me. Though the mike was foggy, Tzemach Band did a fine job, with the illustriously blue Josh Becker dominating at drums.
I met several people over the last day and it occured to me that meeting new people on Purim can be very misleading as many of us wear costumes. I saw a middle-aged man dressed as a hippy who turned out to be the Rabbi here, and there are several other people who I couldn't make a fair assessment of because of their costumes (though Aroni's tight, revealing belly dancer costume certainly cleared up a suspicion I've had for some time :)- and then later it hit me ,and it hit me hard: who am I to make a judgement of anyone after meeting them once? This should seem like such an obvious realization, and yet it completely overcame me.
A harsh, and unfortunate critique that some of my former/current peers have honestly shared with me is that I can be a judgemental person sometimes. This is something I've been working on, and I think I've made a great deal of improvement over the last few months (right K?). Yet last night I saw where my problem stemmed from, and had another epiphany, one I know I've been aware of subcontiously for some time: we all wear masks, some more than others, but at some point we do cover up who we really are, whether from others our ourselves, and for a multitude of reasons. I think I've been wearing different masks for three years, bur more on that in a minute.
I have to work on not making assumptions about someone based on how people dress ("So don't put me down for the way that I look, what I wear-just the skin I bare"). If I see a guy in black pants, a white shirt and short hair I'll generally assume nice frum guy (just curious-how many of you would honestly think otherwise?). If I see a guy in ripped jeans, a t-shirt, sandals, and longer hair I would probably assume something different. I have to stop assuming. I don't know that the "frum" guy isn't going to a strip club, just as I don't know that the "bum" isn't coming back from an hour long venture of helping a fragile 90-year-old man on a walker from getting into his apartment from off the street. Heck the "bum" could daven three times a day with a minyan and the "Frummy" doesn't (not that I should judge them on that either). They're both wearing "costumes" and I have zero right to pass any judgement, and I hope I continue this is the future. Actions speak louder than appearances, and even then we are not aware of all a person's actions. The Chofetz Chaim teaches that we must always assume the best, even if the worst seems much more obvious, and the truth of the matter is is that this is a much healthier way of thinking. If we can think positive of others we can think more positive of ourselves.

Though I was 20, three years ago I was in a much healthier, happier, more mature place, and it's time I took my masks off and get back there again. Today is the three year anniversary of the Siyum I made on mesechet Megillah in honor of my dear grandmother and beloved uncle. From that point on the next 9 months of my life was without a doubt the best time of my life. I had overcome major adversities and put myself on a proper, holy derech- But I let my fears get the better of me, I took too many things for granted, and failed a test of bitachon, and have regretted it ever since. I think it's time to try to get back on that road- in some way or another. I know that if I do, and manage to stay on the derech this time (assuming I am succesful in reattaining it), I will not only be happy, but I will be sound in mind and spirit, and thus take great leaps forward in my life. I'll do my best to treat everyday like its Purim and (until I know them better) see everyone in their costumes. Only G-d truly sees everything.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bone, I'm proud of you, you know that. I've seen extraordinary growth and change over the years, especially the past few months. You have been living life with your eyes wide open. Keep them that way even if it means drinking lots of caffeine that you dont like. Sometimes doing the right thing hurts, and sometimes what seems right hurts you more. Hope you can make some sense of my rant, I feel like I"m blogging your blog...

Sunday, March 27, 2005  
Blogger Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, March 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first of all, it should be noted that it is absolutely impossible not to make judgments. As human beings, we are inherently inferential animals. We make inferences constantly. Landlords (esp. commercial) will assume a potential tenant's financial income based on their race, gender, etc. Colleges, by law, are required to accept minority students to fight this steroetyping. An employer will judge you by your clothes and conduct on an interview- and he should. Generalizing is ok! It is true! It is true that someone w/short hair wearing black and white will GENERALLY be more observant, and that bummy looking guys are GENERALLY bums- there is nothing we cna do about that. WHAT WE CAN DO HOWEVER, IS REALIZE THAT THERE ARE ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS-MANY, IN FACT. I always make a generalization and ppl say "your generalizing- there are exceptions!" and i answer "yes, there are exceptions- that is one generalizing means- in GENERAL." The problem with ppl today is that they will start on the outside, and go in. Physicaly fallig into a stereotype should be the EFFECt of who you are- not the cause!!

Monday, April 04, 2005  
Blogger Hopefool said...

I agree Josh (excellent last point), but I want to get to a place where I see the good in a person before I assume any sort of negativity. We can genralize a lot if we see a girl in a low cut dress, but thats not fair to her. We may think "she's easy" when in reality she's just dressing a little sexy. She may just want a lil attention but no physical contact, or she may not want anything- she could just be hot (in terms of tempature). Now I agree that more often than not she is trying to be suggestive in some way- but like you said there are exceptions (as you are to the the dressing like a bum factor :). I just want to be able to either not assume anything and see the mask until I have the experiences to dig deeper, or if I do assume or generalize, then i'd like to assume the best, I'd like to assume she's the exception. Just like you are. Just like I was when I had long hair- I looked hot then!

Monday, April 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Find a Lawyer